I have written a post in Facebook, defying a lot of authoritative concerns about the anti-government sentiments which my parents forewarned me (they monitored my Facebook and tell me not to post several things, including my relationship status). In this case, I felt that as a Malaysian and also a Christian, I found the recent occurrence in Malaysia something difficult to articulate. So I raised my post - to find like-minded people responding to the event. It may seem lengthy though, but I thought it deserves repeating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"A question for those who share my faith - looking at this event, and understanding the standpoint of the peace rally much akin to Berlin 90s and African American in South US rally in late 80s, how would you respond to Bersih 3.0, and putting your faith in responding to the event?
Especially those who were bred and buttered in Malaysia, how would you put your faith as a basis in responding to Bersih 3.0, albeit the sentiments of unprecedented unfairness you might face on individual accounts?
I kept myself silent long enough to not react rashly towards such politics, but between the line of restrained trust in eventual justice and almost berserk-like hurls of pro-activism, the balancing act proved a lot more draining, especially when I personally faced injustice upfront.
If articulation and constant dependency of believing that 'Thy kingdom comes' (just like the national anthem of Malaysia - 'Tuhan kurnia-kan') lives among us, perhaps we better learn that whatever that is at stake - justice and fairness in governance - God watches us all. And perhaps, there might be hope in believing, like Martin Luther King - "I have a dream... that we are free at last!" - that this peace rally is a wake-up call for all of us, remembering that we don't live each day just to get by.
You may not agree, and you might even reject. Whatever it may be, I'll be honest - I struggle with this too.
Something to think about... not only for us, but for our generation's to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyYUMoacPog&feature=share"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Upon sharing I felt quite liberated, yet disturbed. As young, I have taken some interest in reading stories about the Berlin wall fall and the peace rally in South US (Texas) when Martin Luther King showed the world the cruelty of immoral and corrupt governance. Mom always warned me not to be engrossed in such readings (though she secretly read these details with equal interest. In the later part of the year we sit side-by-side as pro-reformalist), but I realized as days gone by, truly as Christians we must address the issue of social injustice here on earth, even though our citizenship eventually will be in Heaven with Christ.
C. S. Lewis wrote something before about the Christians contributing on earth even though they blatantly refuse allegiance to any earthly force and authority. Defying all odds, hospitals and hospices were built because Christians believed in human dignity and human suffering as a means of ministry for those to be departed and to be healed. And the monumental act of justice, in the form of mercy and grace showered through various nations because of the belief of a small group of Christians congregating together to pray for the souls of the lost. In those prayers, God poured our His spirit in the hearts of man the reality of human injustice and practical means against them.
Reading the peace rally conducted by this amazing lady Ambiga Sreenevasan, I started to learn a little bit about her past and her contribution to society. If it rings any bell to my US friends, she received International Woman of Courage Award in 2009, handed to her by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. And for the benefit of my Christian friends, she fought hard for a case for a Muslim convert to Christian back in 2007 (the outcome was a granted apostasy of Lina Joy being a Muslim). For your information, in Malaysia, Muslim is an automated religion subscribed for ethnic Malays. So should anyone convert from Muslim to Christianity, the moral and religious backlash and discrimination was evidently prevalent - especially for ethnic Malay. This is one of the grey area that made Ms. Ambiga fought hard for religious equality. Though personally I struggled to embrace religious equality, I do believe the image of Copts Christians in Egypt protecting their Muslim counterparts while praying on a Friday afternoon in 2010 speaks of our commission given by Christ Himself - love your neighbor as yourself. It was Christ who first demonstrated the Love of God in the form of a human, and to touch the lives of millions of people searching for a meaning in life.
This is the video of Ms. Ambiga who told of the post-Bersih 3.0 and her articulation of what has happened. Something to think about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6sFm-RYxg
We lived in a world ruled by so many injustice and unfairness. We humans failed to live upright with accountable stewardship and transparent governance to our younger generation. Due to the innate character mischievously cultivated by the princes of the world (devils and the evil ones), we let the best of our sinful nature decides - and eventually lead down the path of unrighteousness. And true enough - even on a peace rally akin to Bersih 3.0 (just type Bersih 3.0 in youtube for you to understand what's going on), you can't deny the portrayal of human weakness and our sinful nature. Not all the motivation that led to the rally were noble and moral. But yet - when I think of myself being a Christian - and still dabbles in pornography and my personal distaste towards my sinful lifestyle, I felt ashamed thinking how much the sinful nature obstructs God's vision for us as Christians - spread the Gospel till the end of the world, and reach out for the lost.
Would you, therefore, spend a moment in silence and in prayer for the reflection of the state of social justice in the world wherever you are at, and give some time to let God speak to you, of what He will impart of you?
No comments:
Post a Comment