What is the essence of Punk Rock? Is it about how great the drum technicality is? Is it about how aggressive the tone of the distortion of the guitar? Is it on how important it is to constant hit the same groove on bass? Is it on how important the growl effect must be in a vocal? Or is it how technically sound and complex should the lyrics be?
No. The essence of Punk - is a statement. And you live and believe in that statement. What is strongest is when you wrote a song that comes straight from the heart. That's where you state your cause - and put your heart on the sleeve.
That's why, bands like Rise Against, singing 'Prayer for A Refugee', 'Make It Stop', bands like Thrice, singing 'Artist in the Ambulance', 'Cold Cash Colder Heart', bands like 'My Chemical Romance', singing 'Welcome to the Black Parade' - touch so many souls, with many people listening and crying over the tune - because they can relate to the tune and finally found a voice.
I can't help but playing these tunes again and again, in the midst of my struggles about identity in life, and thinking so much about the emptiness I felt after our recent success in Esplanade, and how everything went downhill from there. From networking, to contacts, to friendship, and now to eventually the band.
I watched SuckSeed, with so much emotions felt. Perhaps I can relate because I recently patched up with a close friend, and at the end, it is not so much about the effort. Sometimes, being a loser - can mean so much more being at the bottom.
No comments:
Post a Comment